Registration and Records

The Office of the Registrar (OR) oversees the maintenance and integrity of all student records, admissions criteria, course registration, status changes, and transcript evaluation. The OR reports on student enrollment data as mandated by federal and/or state regulation and as allowed under FERPA guidelines to all external agencies. The OR ensures all department activity is in compliance with institutional policies and procedures and verifies completeness and accuracy of all functions.


The University utilizes the online registration functionality through the Student Portal. Once student has been accepted the student will have the ability to self-register. All programs of study are structured with a prescribed course sequence. Students may add and/or drop courses through the add/drop period (see add/drop period).

Students are not permitted to request a specific faculty member, nor request to avoid a course that a particular faculty member is teaching. The university reserves the right to make determinations about student scheduling in accordance with the needs of the college.

A student may not self-register in the prescribed sequence until all prerequisites have been satisfied. Prevention may be, but not limited to, pending award of transfer credit, satisfactorily pass coursework at USU, and/or meet any program specific requirements. A student may not register for a class and a course prerequisite in the same semester. Information on course prerequisites or co-requisites can be found in the course descriptions in this Catalog.

For further registration assistance a guide is available in the Student Portal. Students may also consult with their designated Academic Advisor.

Add/Drop Period

The Add/Drop period occurs prior to and throughout the first week (7 days) of a session. During this period, students may add and drop courses. New students may be admitted during this period provided they attend at least one (1) scheduled class, or post a gradable assignment online, during the Add/Drop period. The University would consider students registered in their session as an intent to continue with their studies and confirmed into the session(s)

Students dropping all classes may be treated as withdrawals or become inactive. Please refer to our Continuous Enrollment policy.

Dropped courses occurring within the add/drop period may appear on student’s transcript but will not be included in evaluating student maximum allowable time frame specific to satisfactory academic progress.

Teaching Credentialing Program Specific Requirements

In alignment with teaching credential regulatory bodies, for students to participate in student teaching and meet the required hours set by state and accrediting bodies, late registration is not permitted. Students must ensure they meet all requirements for student teaching as detailed in the Student Teaching Handbook prior to the first day of a session.

Diplomas, Transcripts and Other Documentation

Diplomas are printed and mailed after all requirements have been completed. They are mailed to the address provided on the Application for Graduation approximately two months after the degree has been awarded.

Students may request transcripts by following the directions on the Office of the Registrar page. Official transcript requests will be processed online through the transcript ordering services. Students must use the Document Request Form for any unofficial transcript request. Please refer to the Tuition and Fees section for costs associated with transcript requests. 

Students that require documentation other than transcripts may complete the Document Request Form. This form is required before any information is released as student's written consent is needed. The form is available from the Office of the Registrar or email Example of documents may consist of enrollment verifications, grade reports, etc. Student Ledger requests can be requested by contacted Student Finance at

Student Record Retention

The University retains all required records for a minimum of five (5) years from the end of the student’s award year on-site in order to be compliant with Federal Regulation (34 CFR §668.24) and State Regulation (5 CCR §71920). Records may then be stored on a secure off-site location and/or digitized and stored into a solutions system. However, some financial aid documents and all transcripts are kept indefinitely.

Change in Demographic Information

Students are responsible for maintaining up-to-date information: e.g., residence, phone number etc.

Students are able to update their residence by logging into the Student Portal. Students who relocate while enrolled in a degree program may be unable to complete their studies if they are moving to a country or state where the University is not currently authorized to offer that particular program. Students should contact their Academic Advisor if they are considering relocating during their course of study or if they need assistance updating their demographic information.

Change in Legal Name

Students may change legal names only if a legal document showing the new name/name change documentation is submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Examples of accepted documents include a Driver License, a Passport or a Permanent Resident Card, Marriage Certificate, a Court Order documenting a name change, and/or documents from the Social Security Administration.

Students wishing to change their legal name may do so by completing the Student Name Change Form and submitting appropriate documentation. Please be advised that name changes occur at the end of each session.